Voters Have Mixed Views on Warren’s Proposed Corporate Reforms

A new ScottRasmussen.com national survey shows Americans have mixed reactions to Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren’s plans to reduce income inequality with a series of proposed corporate reforms.

One key aspect of Warren’s plan is to require large corporations to get a federal charter instead of existing state charters to begin or continue operating in the United States.

Half of the survey respondents were asked whether they’d support changing the current practice of corporate charters being issued by the states and requiring large corporations to get a federal charter instead. Thirty percent (30%) of voters favor the idea and an identical 30% oppose it. Forty-one percent (41%) of respondents aren’t sure.

The other half of survey respondents were simply asked if corporate charters should be granted by  the federal government or state governments. On that question, 59% prefer state charters while 41% who want the federal government to have that power.

Other aspects of Warren’s corporate reform plan are more popular. Sixty-two percent (62%) of voters at least somewhat support requiring large corporations to get at least 75% shareholder and board support before making any political donations. That’s in line with the stronger level of support voters express for Warren’s government accountability proposals.

Additionally, just over half of all voters 53% are at least somewhat supportive of requiring large corporations to let employees elect 40% of board members. Twenty-two percent (22%) oppose that idea.

There is far less support for granting the federal government the right to appoint directors to the boards of large corporations. Only 16% of voters support that idea while 70% oppose it.

Sixty-percent (60%) of Americans say the primary purpose of companies is to make money for their shareholders. However, 40% agree with Warren that their primary purpose should be to meet the needs of the community at large.

But 64% of voters agree with Warren that companies should be required by the federal government to consider the interests of employees, customers, shareholders and the community. The remaining 36% disagree.

Senator Warren herself holds a 37% favorable and 33% unfavorable rating.

The mission of ScottRasmussen.com is to enhance the public dialogue through data-driven analysis that explores the underlying currents of public opinion (read About Us). We release new polling data daily, including updates of the president’s Job Approval Rating and the Generic Congressional Ballot.

Sign up HERE to receive the latest numbers in our daily email update. You can also follow our work on Twitter and Facebook.

The national survey of 1,004 Registered Voters was conducted January 6-7, 2018 by ScottRasmussen.com and HarrisX, a polling company specializing in online surveys (see Methodology). It has a 3.1 percentage point Margin of Error with a 95% level of confidence.

Neither Scott Rasmussen nor ScottRasmussen.com has any relationship with Rasmussen Reports® (see About Us).

Posted in Poll Results

Scott's Newsletter
Sign up for Scott's newsletter and get his political insight delivered right to your inbox!