39% Want House to Launch Formal Impeachment Hearings

Thirty-nine percent (39%) of voters nationwide think the House of Representatives should formally launch an impeachment hearing against President Trump. A ScottRasmussen.com national survey found that 44% disagree and 18% are not sure.

By way of comparison, 49% favor having the Department of Justice investigate whether the FBI illegally spied on the Trump campaign.

Sixty-four percent (64%) of Democrats want to see the impeachment hearings while 83% of Republicans are opposed. Independent voters are evenly divided on the question (see crosstab results).

Data released yesterday shows that 50% of voters believe senior government officials are inappropriately trying to undermine President Trump. Thirty-one percent (31%) disagree and 19% are not sure. At the same time, 46% agree with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and believe the president is engaged in a cover-up.

If the Democrats voted to impeach President Trump and the Republicans voted against, 30% believe that would help the president’s chances of winning re-election. Twenty-nine percent (29%) believe it would hurt his chances while 41% are not sure.

Overall, 41% of voters believe the president should be impeached and removed from office. Forty-five percent (45%) disagree.

ScottRasmussen.com releases new public opinion data every day relating to topics in the news and other items of interest. Please sign up to receive the latest data and insights each day via email.

We provide daily updates on the president’s job approval and the generic congressional ballot. We also provide regular updates on the economyhealth careimmigrationCongress, ratings of Congressional leadersElection 2020, the Democratic PrimariesTrust in Government, and which party voters trust on key issues. It’s all part of our mission to enhance the public dialogue through data-driven analysis that explores the underlying currents of public opinion (read About Us).

Please follow our work on TwitterFacebook, and YouTube.

The national survey of 1,001 Registered Voters was conducted May 22-23, 2019 by ScottRasmussen.com and HarrisX, a polling company specializing in online surveys (see Methodology and a Demographic Profile of the sample). Results from the full sample have +/-3.1 Margin of Sampling Error with a 95% level of confidence.

Neither Scott Rasmussen nor ScottRasmussen.com has any relationship with Rasmussen Reports® (see About Us).

 

 

 

 

Posted in Poll Results

Scott's Newsletter
Sign up for Scott's newsletter and get his political insight delivered right to your inbox!